What does a project manager do?
A project manager schedules and coordinates your build to ensure it progresses efficiently and safely.
What are they responsible for?
Having a great project manager means you only need to deal with one person, while they take care of everything else. The project manager is the Lead Contractor or PCBU and is responsible for everything that happens on site. Their job is to manage the construction processes and all personnel, and ensure the right equipment and materials are available. Typically, they're responsible for:
- Managing the project so it finishes on time and within budget
- Working closely with specialists like the architect and engineer
- Complying with the building code and safety regulations
- Hiring and managing labourers, subcontractors and tradespeople
- Ensuring all subcontractors deliver quality work, to the agreed scope of work
- Having the right amount of tools, equipment and materials on site when needed
- Managing delays and finding the best solution for unexpected issues or emergencies
- Keeping you up to date with progress on site and compared with budget
Do I need a professional project manager?
A build might need many tradespeople including plumbers, electricians, glaziers, earthmovers, scaffolders, roofers, bricklayers and stonemasons. Some might even need specialists in stair manufacturing, traffic management, asbestos removal and hydraulic engineering. The project manager ensures each subcontractor is on site at the right time, with the right materials. Hiring an expert means you’ll benefit from their expertise and experience, as well as their relationships with sub trades whose work they know and trust.
All this planning takes quite some time, even well before the build actually starts. During some stages of the build we could spend a few hours each day at site meetings, coordinating sub trades and arranging materials.
Why work with Qualitas Builders?
Qualitas Builders will take responsibility for your build from the ground up and will manage all aspects of the construction, materials and managing sub trades. Bryce has over twenty years experience in the building and construction industry and is a Licensed Building Practitioner and NZ Certified Builder. Qualitas Builders has a solid reputation built on the highest standard of knowledge, skills and expertise and our work is fully guaranteed with HALO, our 10 Year Residential Building Guarantee.